So I tried hitting up the grocery store last night, but ran into a little issue at the check out stand…
I had all of my stuff ready to go for this recipe (shown below), but the lady in front of me tried paying for her food with 3 cards – none of them working… then she had to return a bunch of items, and then the computer froze out…
After a long day, I just wanted to get home, so I will have to go to the grocery store sometime soon to make this salad.. a healthier version of caesar by using Kale instead of Romaine lettuce.
- 2 large bunches of Lacinato Kale (Dinosaur Kale), cleaned, stems removed and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 to 3 large cloves garlic, smashed and finely chopped
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup organic lemon juice (from approximately 2 medium lemons)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 turns freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup whole wheat croutons, crushed
- shaved Parmesan for serving (optional)
- Clean kale be removing the stems, washing the leaves and drying. If you have a salad spinner, this is a great time to use it to dry the leaves. Alternately, pat them with paper towels. Once mostly dry, chop leaves into bite sized pieces and place in a very large bowl.
- Smash garlic and finely chop. Combine in a large bowl with lemon juice, salt, red pepper and black pepper.Whisk to combine and continue whisking, slowly pouring in olive oil to emulsify.
- Combine dressing with kale leaves, using your hands to gently massage into the leaves. (I used kitchen gloves because I had just painted my nails and Kale has a nasty habit of turning manicures green! Set a timer for 30 minutes and move on to the croutons.
- Smash the croutons by placing them in a measuring cup and using the next size smaller measuring cup to crush them by pushing down. Alternately, you could put them in a Ziploc type bag and bang on them but I found that is messier.
- Finally, measure grated cheese and shave fresh Parmesan if using for garnish.
- When timer is up, toss dressed salad with crushed croutons and grated Parm until well coated.